One of the hardest things going gluten free is not being able to bake like usual. I tried a couple of gluten free flours/methods but without much success to imitate the results of baking with wheat flour. After quite a bit of research, I finally decided to try Authentic Foods flours as they seem to garner consistent positive reviews. I ordered several different type directly from its website and they finally arrived yesterday, yay! This morning, I used Steve’s GF Cake Flour to make my favorite cake – pandan chiffon (but in mini version) and the cakes came out beautiful, fluffy, tender, and best of all delicious!!! I’m almost in tears! No gummy texture like my first couple of experiments with other flours, lol. If nothing else comes out successfully from this venture, at least I have my favorite cake back in my life. ❤️
1-3/4 cups Authentic Foods Steve’s GF Cake Flour
1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup first pressing/unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon bottled pandan paste
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 350F.
- Whisk flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, oil, coconut milk, and pandan paste together.
- With an electric mixer, whip egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-low speed until foamy. Then increase mixer speed to medium-high and whip the whites until soft mounds form. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk egg yolk mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Fold ⅓ of the whipped egg whites into the batter with a large rubber spatula until combined. Then carefully fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Divide batter equally between a couple of king size muffin pans (12 cavities altogether) lined with large baking cups. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cake to a cooling rack and let cool completely (if you can wait that long, lol). Enjoy.