Made Matcha Chiffon Cake on St. Patrick’s Day. I love anything matcha and I absolutely love chiffon cakes for their soft and light as air texture. 😋
1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons matcha
7 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use extra light olive oil)
3/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 350ºF.
- Place flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Sieve matcha into flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, oil, milk, and vanilla extract together.
- With an electric mixer, whip egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-low speed until foamy. Then increase mixer speed to medium-high and whip the whites until soft mounds form. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk egg yolk mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Fold 1/3 of the whipped egg whites into the batter with a large rubber spatula until combined. Then carefully fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into an ungreased tube pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick/skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Invert cake pan and let cake cool completely. To remove the cake, run a small, thin-blade knife around the edge (including around the tube) and bottom of the cake and gently tap to loosen it. Slice and serve.